Thursday, April 19, 2018

Trying to Remember What I forgot

Yesterday, the Wednesday  weather folks on the telly said it would rain and I forgot. My sailboat does not have a dodger so when you open the main hatch when it is raining more than likely you will get wet. So I have a routine done many times, put up my cockpit tent, cover port windows, cover vent on forward hatch and you will stay drier except when you walk the dogs in the rain.
what it looked like before I started living on it
The sunrise was a nice pink sky with a few clouds and some blue skies and dry out side. The two dogs went out as normal and smelled around. I put them in my Nissan for a few minutes and when I came back it had started to rain. I left the dogs in the car and went and got my yellow rain coat out of the closet and while doing that the cabin heater fell out and smashed my shin. With my yellow hat and coat we then together went for a walk.
Happy the German Shepherd isn't much of a problem when he gets wet but the Yorkie needs a good drying off with a towel. Happy likes to bark at the raccoons if he gets a scent or see one. This morning in the rain he got a whiff of something by the Youth Sailing Dock close to CBYC  and started pulling on the lead like a team of horses and barking. He stuck his nose under the fence rail and proceeded to bark louder and Lucky copied him too. 

My guess it was a raccoon but when I got closer and looked down I saw the whiskers of a sea lion pup. It was a very low tide and the pup was laying in the grass between the rocks and the sea wall. He was a long way from the water below. My cameras were on the boat as it was raining so I didn't take a picture of the pup. Finding a sea lion in your backyard is not unusual and the dogs seem to ignore them when they are swimming next to our boat but this pup was inches away from Happy, nose to nose.
We walked a little farther from where we found the pup then back to the boat to get the telephone number of Marine Rescue which is located here in San Pedro about two miles away. Their phone recording directed me to another number (the office doesn't open until ten) where I reported the pup on the rocks. Half an hour later I went back and the pup was gone, I hope he is all right.
After our early morning fun the rain stopped, the sun came out but the northern sky did not look good so I went and got some canvas for the port windows and the sun came out again. It is nice that the sun is out as I need to go to the Von's in the Ghetto. San Pedro has its ups and down The stores up on Western Ave are nice (San Pedro is located between the harbor in the east  and the hills in the west) and the farther up the hill the higher the prices are. Von's is on 13th Street about a mile and a half from my sailboat so I ride a bicycle there rather than drive my Nissan unless the dogs get lucky and get a car ride. 


No comments: