Monday, April 16, 2018

More Forgetting

Large numbers can be scary.  The human brain contains around 100 billion neurons and with the various connections lots, lots more. My Toshiba laptop has 300 GB of disc and the picture folder contains 67.8 GB of data or 27,456 files in 510 folders. If I looked at each picture for one minute it would take me almost 19 days of not stop viewing to see them all. Not all my pictures are on my two laptops some (duplicates) are stored on two off-line devices. Then there is the SD chips for my three cameras, one tablet, Sony, plus 2 phones which is 196 GB of tiny tiny memory.
Beside the pictures there are books that have been read. I started using Good Reads a few years back and have close to 500 books on my "have read" list. That is close to 13,000 MB of Kindle reads. I am lucky (my little dogs name) that I remember who I am each morning. My Garmin watch tells me the time and the number of steps I take and that info along with pulse rate can be saved and stored but I stopped doing that (storing the recorded data).  Recording my bike trips was really anal and after several years I quit that bean counting too.

My son Dylan has Netflix and I used to watch that but stopped even after I got Chromecast working.
Now I watch my son on YouTube (Dylan Stark Channel) and use Amazon Prime to watch science films. The morning news and weather is so full of commercials for medical aids and new cars sales it taxes the mute button on my Samsung remote. Watching Japanese cooking shows on PBS is much more fun.
The morning news has traffic reports but I rarely every drive my car and the only traffic here is on Gaffey in San Pedro if you try to get on the 110 Freeway. Last year I paddled my stand up paddle board more miles that I drove my Nissan. The Telly weather girls are too cute but if I want to see the weather I look out the widow or a hatch. If I need a wind report I listen to the halyard banging or the sailboat rocking. My German Shepherd grew up on our boat and the rocking is second nature to him.
This morning the Dynamic Duo and I walked over to Cabrillo Beach and checked the surf and shore birds, not much of either today. Then on the way back I stopped to take some pictures of our new friends the Cooper Hawks and watched the nest buildings. Yesterday afternoon one of the Coopers was flying over the next marina trying to catch a smaller white bird but I didn't have my camera with me and missed some great aerial performances. 
The pictures shown here were was past shots that are several years old. 

No comments: