Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Switching From Homeless Pictures to Bird Pictures

My blogging jumps from one subject to another. If you go back several years with this blog you will see lots of motorcycle material. Maybe a remark about bicycles too. My senior daughter started blogging and so did my granddaughter but since I have to much  to remember and prone to forget I not sure when that was.
My first serious Digital Camera was a Nikon D80 that I bought from those Jewish New Yorker from their web site.  My old Minolta was very serious with motor wind and half a dozen lens but it grew weak and died. I still have my first D80 but I can't get it to work correctly and the cost of repair was quoted around $250.00 for repair so I bought a refurbished unit on E-Bay for $95.00 that allowed me to continue to use the lenses I already had.
The first Nikon sat unused as I switched to Samsung Galaxy phones that had really good captures and with a finger touch the picture or video could be uploaded with out any reformatting. So the internal clock battery on the Nikon discharged and when I tried to reuse it the errors said the lens was not installed so "go figure". I have been reading manuals (even wrote a few) but it some times can be to confusing and difficult to understand them.
So my son Dylan @whoisdylan got a Canon that does MP4 so I started searching around and bought a Nikon D90 but the glare on the screen during day light hours makes it hard to see what the fuck you are filming. So to increase the difficulty by a factor of two I bought another D90.
Plate 1
Then a neighbor gave me his tripod that was loose and wobbled. Several more lens and adapters later I have a moderate collection of camera stuff. 
Plate 2
Maybe three years ago I was walking around Point Fermin and there was a frenzy of bird nuts taking pictures with Canon's and giant lenses of the nesting of a Peregrine Falcons along the cliff edge. I usually only take pictures of the cliffs when there were are jumpers going off of them. It is hard to get good pictures of jumpers after the fire department shows up. 
Plate 3
So one day below the Korean Bell I  was walking my German Shepherd and saw a Red Tail Hawk in a palm tree and after that I started hauling a hefty camera along during my daily dog walks. We walk between 5 to 7 miles each and every day. The cameras being digital don't analog with us.
Plate 4
Taking pictures with two angry killer type beasts on a leash is sometimes a problem. The dogs not only scare cute chicks away but also shy birds. As any new birdwatcher I decided not to throw money away and went to the public library here in God's Paradise San Pedro where the Ocean is near by and the Homeless are even closer. Years ago before the smart Phone the downtown dregs were the bus station. At Ninth and Gaffey in San Pedro Amtrack has a bus stop next to the library. At the library I got several bird books and took them back to my sailboat and as always I rode my trusty bicycle up the hill. San Pedro makes San Francisco look like Kansas or the Mountains of Florida. 
Any Fence will do
The library is very persistent about returning books so I actually bought two really old bird guides on E Bay and I use them frequently (both the books and e bay).

The pictures within are of Black-Crowned Night Herons and they were taken with a Nikon D90 using a a 300 mm Nikon Lens in the Auto Focus Mode. 
Nesting in trees
Nycticorax nycticorax is the fancy name for this bird but if you break it up it becomes NY CTI CO rax which might be a banking concern on Wall Street.
By the Harbor
I never took Birding 1A but plumage of birds change as the birds grow older and molt. A brown seagull will become white when it reaches maturity. The plates above (I be fancy now and call my   Birds  pictures Plates) They show First Year 

No comments: