Saturday, July 7, 2018

More Bird Pictures Without Homeless

In the morning my day can start early usually before the sunrise here on the Pacific Coast. My cabin entry on the sailboat has three drop boards that can be closed at night but yesterday was another Global Warming record setter here and the boards stayed on the cabin top.
Cooper Hawk
I have several sun shades or rain covers and yesterday it was way over a hundred here and I got out the hose and sprayed water on the shades, sail cover and topsides trying to cool off the cabin. The dogs lay in the sole of the boat and the water temperature of the harbor is about 62 Degrees so the dogs have a nice place to lay.

The morning dog walks are never the same as Lucky the little Yorkie must avoid other dogs for he can be rather ugly. We found him and rescued him (not my best decision). The German Shepherd Happy loves everybody except noisy motorcycles and the Shepherd has been known to bark at homeless especially those on skateboards.
Each morning lately we all head up to the small hillside park below Fort MacArthur to try and see the Cooper's Hawk Nest and the three little guys Mama and Papa Cooper are bringing up.
The Shepherd starts to whine if I take too much time with my Nikon trying to capture a good shot.
When I was done this morning I placed my camera back in my backpack and we headed down the sidewalk back to the boat when we ran into Jimmy. Jimmy is easy to recognize here in San Pedro for he always has a white styrofoam cup which is empty if he is going to the liquor store or full if he staggering back.
Jimmy continues to cost the tax payers lots of money here when he is roused out of his homeless camp by several Port Police and several Hazmat trucks. He was living in the bushes north of the Aquarium when a hard nose cleaning crew took all of his stuff so he moved back to his old haunt across from the office building on Via Cabrillo Marina where Mark (the boat painter) found him one afternoon passed out on a bench with a 40 ounce rum bottle. 
Mark then flagged down a Port Police Security Car (not police) and the Security guy made a u-turn but could not find Jimmy. With a little help the Security guy found Jimmy's bottle under the bench and then Jimmy in the bushes at his camp ground. Then more Security Cars, then more Port Police Cars with flashing lights, then Fire Trucks, (three) then an ambulance as Jimmy couldn't stand up. There is probably more to the store but I left as I have seen this repeated before.
Jimmy used to have a totally crapped out filthy sailboat here and he would often be led back to his boat by the police. Why put a drunk on a boat when he can't walk is hard to understand but I have seen it happen here. The marina here finally threw him out and he moved south to the next marina. 
egg I found below nest
A few years ago one afternoon I was paddling my surf ski when I saw Jimmy paddle by in a kayak with his brown paper bag and while he was chugging on the bottle he fell out of the kayak. I docked my ski and went into the office and reported Jimmy was floating around somewhere. I then went back out and found him trying to get out of the water at the docks east of here. It is very hard to get out of the water without a ladder so I parked my ski and hauled Jimmies wet sorry ass out of the water. I guess I saved his life. Now must I be haunted by doing so.
I saw Jimmy Thursday getting drunk next to the Von's Parking lot on Gaffey and this Saturday while we were returning from taking bird pictures he was shit faced at 7 in the morning. 
Jimmy returns from store while we are birdwatching
The Title said without homeless and so these last pictures were added later.

Jimmy with is infamous white cup passed out




No comments: