Tuesday, May 1, 2018

I Know It Is Today Cause It Is Raining

Tuesday is here again and that seems to happen weekly.
Mocking Birds Courting
It is May again and that happens somewhere between April and June.
Mocking Bird
Yesterday it was June weather and I went riding and tried another route. My original plan was to go to Long Beach on the bicycle as the auto route is via two bridges one that doesn't allow non motor types. Things were going alright until I came to Santa Fe at Anaheim Street where the street narrows as Long Beach begins. San Pedro,  Terminal Island and Long Beach or the major USA ports and there are lots of fucking trucks, more than enough. My life passed by quickly as the gutter disappeared and the curb got very close, the large trucks got very close and I escaped to the sidewalk. I gave the finger to two truck drivers that owned the road and changed my route.
Humming Bird low sun light
As I headed north instead of east I passed familiar sites and headed back into fast food country. In the San Pedro and Wilmington waterfront there isn't any Macs or Jacks only one burger joint at Ford Road.
Hawk on Solar Panel
Before moving to where I am now I had two sailboats in Wilmington so the streets where I was almost smashed like a bug were past haunts. When I got to PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) I headed west and saw a sign saying  this was a Long Beach Bike Way. It was not the Tour de France route unless they ride pass junk yards, stacked containers, a couple of oil refineries, What is funny about oil refineries here is gas station prices. In San Pedro gas prices are higher than in South Pasadena where I used  to live part time.
My Daughter
There will not be any bicycle ravel pictures in this blog as I ride my bike to ride my bike not to take picture. I tried mounting a smart phone or my little Sony on a handlebar mount but the collection of shots along the way were usually shit and then deleted. Sometimes I haul a Nikon along in my backpack but again that is too much trouble. If you want to see what PCH in Wilmington or Long Beach tune into the local Los Angeles TV news and watch the crime reports. 
So yesterday I rode twenty miles and the day before a little less but more hills. The passage from San Pedro to Long Beach doesn't have any hills except the street bridges over the rail road tracks. Once you get into riding everyday more than a few miles you need to keep doing it just like running. Running not jogging is worse than heroin. One hundred miles a week is never enough. 
Having Fun
The little rain we had here stopped and I did not ride today but the two dogs and I walked this morning. That is where the Mocking Bird, Hawk and Humming Bird pictures came from. Mocking Birds are all over the park (22nd Street Park) across the street but not in the park below Fort (Fort MacArthur) here. For those who need more information about Mocking Birds check out "Dick" the first pet in the White House. Hint for the Google impaired is "Thomas Jefferson". 

No comments: