Friday, May 4, 2018

Now Where Did We Leave Off I Forgot

I just had a brilliant idea and before I could get settled in front of the keyboard it vanished. Not the laptop keyboard, the idea. This happens quite frequently. It is hard to keep track of keyboards, not the screens on the phone or tablet but the ones with hard keys. Not sure how many laptops I have gone through, or for that manner computers. Now I have two laptops: a Toshiba and a HP. The Toshiba was getting old and I ran across this deal on E-Bay and bought a HP. The thing runs Windows 10 but there isn't enough disc space for the OS. That is why it was so cheap. So for upgrades I plug in a 500 G external.
Monarch 
The HP is faster than the older Toshiba and this allows uploading from my Nikon's (Have 3 that work and another one that hates me). Not sure how many camera lenses I have and I have forgot where some of those lenses caps are.
Happy loves the park
It is easy to take too many pictures with the newer cameras and since I don't have a super fancy phone I must upload the camera data to a laptop then edit them and if I want to post any on Instagram I must transfer the files to my tablet since Instagram will only allow my laptop to view the app (no down loading) unless I buy a Window 10 laptop with a touch screen.
I tried connecting the two laptop using a USB cable but that doesn't work but I found several special USB cables made just for file transferring. Got a device on Amazon that will transfer files between PCs or Macs  Amazon Prime gave me a $20.00 credit with free shipping so the $18.95 cable cost be a minus $1.15. The cable (UGreen Data Link Cable) looks like a Blue Heron that tried to swallow a fish too big but it allows the connected laptops to share mouses and files. I can drag a file from one device across the edge of the screen onto the other screen. Pretty Cool.
Then another miracle happened: All of these bird watchers have these funny jackets with lots of pockets, weird hats and three thousand spotting scopes. Well three thousand dollars was just a little out of price range so I looked on EBay for some binoculars  At first I was not sure what I needed so after reading several bird watching guides from the Los Angeles Public Library I started Ebay searching again and found a vintage Bell & Howell for under $40.00. It is hard to tell from the pictures shown on the web but when they arrived I was dumbfounded (big word for me). Leather case, the warranty card enclosed and the two straps had never been used even the lens caps had apparently never been taken off. I now be an official bird geek.
As I probably mentioned earlier I read books using the Kindle application and they are free when I use my Los Angeles County Library Card. I have been trying for quite a while to find a copy of Rachel Carson's Silent Spring but can never locate a copy. Then it happen after being on the hold waiting list forever I got one. 
Happy on dock patrol
Her works are always  mentioned but I had never read it. I thought the thought the title was about a "Spring" in the woods (Walden Pond) where the waters killed everything but as I understand Spring is Silent because the birds no longer sing after Winter. So after three days of reading the book during today's early morning dog walk I saw the Rachel Carson Research Vessel heading South in the middle of the West Channel which is East of my boat. South, East, West (do pigeons have GPS) don't forget the Cardinal Points or the Cardinals flying.
Happy loves his blue rope
Yes I know the pictures shown here have nothing to do with the babbling in the blog but if I don't post dog pictures here I might not wake up in the morning after being eaten my two wild furry dogs. Dogs are sensitive and can get aggressive. In fact today when we got back to to our dock from walking to the beach about 9 AM the two shit heads caught a small crab poking out of a hole and could not figure out how to eat it. The crab fought the Yorkie with his claws extended and then hid under a gas can (some one had left out) Lucky the Yorkie hen knocked over the gas can (plastic) and chased the crab some more. Finally the crab jumped back in the water and left the two dogs  without seafood. 

No comments: