Tuesday, September 13, 2016

What is in a name?

My boat is located in a upwind slip and is the second slip after you walk down the gangway. The transom is in full view to walkers that navigate the sidewalks around the marinas. There are three marinas on the west side of the "West Channel" and the sidewalks wind around which allows one to walk from 22nd Street almost to Cabrillo Beach.



One evening when I was still under a roof I was watching a science show on television about the falling water levels of large lakes in Africa and how evolution can change fish species when land bridges separate bodies of water.

This led to some internet searching which led me to Lake Malawi then Likoma Island. This is where I discovered a luxury resort:  Kaya Mawa The words in the Nyanja Language means: Maybe tomorrow

As a six year old I learned the song "Manana" as it was always sung during the Sing a Long when I went with my family to the Shrine Auditorium Family Shows.

The faucet she is dripping and the fence she's fallin' down
My pocket needs some money, so I can't go into town
My brother isn't working and my sister doesn't care
The car she needs a motor so I can't go anywhere
My mother's always working, she's working very hard
But every time she looks for me I'm sleeping in the yard
My mother thinks I'm lazy and maybe she is right
I'll go to work maÃana but I gotta sleep tonight
(maÃana, maÃana, maÃana is soon enough for me)
Oh, once I had some money but I gave it to my friend
He said he'd pay me double, it was only for a lend
But he said a little later that the horse she was so slow
Why he give the horse my money is something I don't know
(maÃana, maÃana, maÃana is soon enough for me)
MaÃana, maÃana,

My grand parents lived on Vermont Ave at 78th Street in Los Angeles. My father and I would walk to the Shrine with my Uncle Bryon early on a Saturday afternoon to stand in line to get good seats. It was an all day wait. After the doors opened we would get seats in the center just behind the orchestra. My Uncle and I would save the seats while my father walked back to 78th to get the car and bring my grandparents back. Before the ushers opened the doors my father and I would explore USC and all the interesting points in the neighborhood. 

Never went to USC as a student but my daughter Frances taught there.

So back to my boats name, If asked the shorter version is, it means "Manana"
My Schwinn locked to dock step
neighbor's rack on steps

Love this boat's name

When you live on a boat with a bicycle you need a rack too.
Bikes on powerboat stern

No comments: